Notes to editors
- Since 1983, the National Centre for Social Research’s (NatCen) British Social Attitudes (BSA) survey has asked members of the public across England, Scotland and Wales about their views on health and care services. The King’s Fund and The Nuffield Trust sponsor these health questions and summarise the headline health results. NatCen will publish further results from BSA in the autumn.
- The most recent survey was carried out between 7 September and 30 October 2022 and asked a nationally representative sample (across England, Scotland and Wales) of 3,362 people about their satisfaction with the National Health Service (NHS) and social care services overall, and 1,187 people about their satisfaction with specific NHS services, as well as their views on NHS funding.
- In 2022, the sample for the overall satisfaction with social care services question was increased to 3,362 to match the overall NHS satisfaction question.
- The survey methodology is based on a randomly selected sample of the British public. It includes those who had recent contact with the NHS and those who had not. From 1983 until 2019 the survey was conducted face to face. This method was no longer possible in 2020 due to Covid-19 social distancing rules and that year the BSA survey was conducted primarily online with a telephone option available. This method continued in 2021 and into 2022.
- The analysis of the BSA health results was carried out by Mark Dayan, Dan Wellings, Jessica Morris, Danielle Jefferies, Laura Schlepper and David Maguire.
- The social care findings were published on Sunday 26 March 2023 ahead of the full report.
- The full report (both NHS and social care findings) will be published on both the Nuffield Trust and The King’s Fund websites at 00.01 on 29 March 2022, with a link to the report from the NatCen website.
About the Nuffield Trust
The Nuffield Trust is an independent think tank aiming to improve the quality of health care in the UK by providing evidence-based research and policy analysis.
About The King’s Fund
The King’s Fund is an independent charity working to improve health and care in England.
About The National Centre for Social Research
The National Centre for Social Research, Britain's largest independent social research organisation, aims to make life better through high-quality social research.