Notes to editors
For further information, contact Andrew McCracken, Head of Press and Public Affairs, on 020 7307 2594 or 07774 907 960.
In July 2018 The King’s Fund and NHS Providers published a report analysing leadership in today's NHS. The authors found that:
- 8 per cent of executive director posts are vacant
- more than a third (37 per cent) of trusts have at least one vacant executive director role, with director of operations, finance and strategy roles having particularly high vacancy rates or short tenures
- more than half (54 per cent) of directors have been appointed in the past three years and the median tenure of a chief executive is just three years
- short tenure was a concern for all executive director roles, but a particular problem for chief operating officer roles
- trusts rated 'inadequate' by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) experience higher levels of vacancies and turnover rates – these trusts had 14 per cent of posts vacant and 72 per cent of their executives had been appointed in 2017.
The King's Fund is an independent charity working to improve health and care in England. We help to shape policy and practice through research and analysis; develop individuals, teams and organisations; promote understanding of the health and social care system; and bring people together to learn, share knowledge and debate. Our vision is that the best possible health and care is available to all.