Notes to editors
- Based on projections from the OBR, we estimate that NHS spending would need to rise from £123.8 billion in 2017/18 to at least £153 billion in 2022/23 (a 4.3 per cent average annual increase) to keep pace with demographic pressures and increasing costs.
- On current plans, NHS funding growth slows to just 0.4 per cent in 2018/19.
- If NHS staff pay were to rise in line with inflation (as measured by the Consumer Price Index), this would mean finding at least an additional £600 million in 2018/19.
- During the general election campaign, the Prime Minister committed to implementing the Naylor report on NHS property and estates, which estimated that the NHS will need at least £10 billion in additional capital investment, at least £7 billion of which would come from the public purse.
- NHS productivity is improving by 1.7 per cent a year.
- The Spending Review 2015 announced reductions in public health funding of nearly 4 per cent a year, a real-terms cut in spending of at least £600 million a year by 2020/21, on top of £200 million already cut from public health budgets in 2015/16.
- Nuffield Trust is an independent think tank. We aim to improve the quality of health care in the UK by providing evidence-based research and policy analysis and informing and generating debate.
- The Health Foundation is an independent charity committed to bringing about better health and health care for people in the UK. Our aim is a healthier population, supported by high quality health care that can be equitably accessed. We learn what works to make people’s lives healthier and improve the health care system. From giving grants to those working at the front line to carrying out research and policy analysis, we shine a light on how to make successful change happen.
- The King’s Fund is an independent charity working to improve health and care in England. We help to shape policy and practice through research and analysis; develop individuals, teams and organisations; promote understanding of the health and social care system; and bring people together to learn, share knowledge and debate. Our vision is that the best possible care is available to all.