In most cases of reporting the 20/80 rules apply 80% CHEER LEAD THE PROCESS and the other 20% mainly patients voice is lost. I have attended the NHS IC board meetings for the last 6 months and found them to be very professional in their reporting. The last meeting in the absence of the CEO appeared to fall apart with the Chair cautioning the executive members of the board that this was a meeting held in public and he would abandon the meeting if they continued with their behaviour!!!! I do wonder now if they knew what was about to hit the press? Clearly a great deal of public confidence has been eroded by events. I do hope NHS IC can recover.
Balanced comparable data, sharing similar experiences including outcomes between individuals and organisations is welcomed as a fair means to quality improvement. However inaccurate erroneous and misleading data with subsequent comparisons and checking produce very negative influences throughout healthcare. Under normal circumstances we would test the theory that the "intervention of CURRENT data comparison" is beneficial rather than harmful. Where is this?