Watch and listen to our animation, which gives a whistle-stop tour of where the NHS is now – how the new organisations work and fit together – and explains that our new system is as much a product of politics and circumstance as design.
Watch the animation
Download the final animation image, showing
This animation was created in June 2013. Since then, there have been some changes to the way the system works. These are:
- the budget for the NHS in England in 2015/16 is £116.4 billion
- while NHS England initially commissioned general practice, from April 2015 64 CCGs will take on responsibility for commissioning general practice in their area, with a further 87 beginning a lower level of 'joint commissioning' of general practice with NHS England
- work is ongoing to improve the way in which specialised services are commissioned, including more collaborative commissioning between CCGs and NHS England
- clinical senates and strategic clinical networks were established as part of the new NHS infrastructure, intended to provide expert clinical advice on issues that go beyond the remit of an individual CCG. Fifteen Academic Health Sciences Networks were also established, intended to promote and encourage the adoption of innovation in health services
- Following mergers there are now 15 commissioning support units and 13 local area teams. So far only three CCGs have merged
- From 2015 there will be £5.3 billion of pooled NHS funding to be spent jointly with local authorities as part of the Better Care Fund’s integration programme
- The NHS five year forward view was published in October 2014, describing a range of changes, including new models of service delivery, such as primary and acute care systems and multi-specialty community providers. These models, are now being piloted. This will further change the commissioning and delivery structures in the NHS.
Share the new NHS animation
We hope you like the animation, let us know what you think and spread the word on Twitter or Facebook with the following link: www.kingsfund.org.uk/altguidenhs
More about this animation
The inspiration for the animation was a session delivered to groups of clinicians as part of our leadership development programmes. Clinicians told us how useful the session was - whilst being experts in their own part of the health system, they were less clear about how the whole, complex system fits together. Our animation aims to bring the essence of this session to a wider audience – an introduction to the new NHS in 6.5 minutes. Find out more about our leadership development work.
Further resources on the new NHS
- See our commentary and analysis on the health system - 65 years on
- View our 'Learnist' board for a visual guide through 10 key resources that will help you make sense of the new NHS
- See what the structures of the new NHS look like with our series of organograms
- View our Pinterest board for a collection of diagrams explaining the new NHS
- Catch up with the key moments that led to the Act reaching the statute book in our Health and Social Care Act timeline
- Read our report: Transforming the delivery of health and social care
- View our infographic on the complexities of the health care system in London