What did we do in this project?
The findings from the final phase of work, Putting quality first in the boardroom, was published in April 2010. It considered a number of key questions:
- Why do boards find it difficult to engage with quality?
- What styles of leadership has most influence on quality?
- What type of organisational culture sustains engagement with quality?
- What systems and processes support a focus on quality?
Findings from the first phase of the project were published in February 2009 in From Ward to Board, at which time we also produced a handbook with the Burdett Trust for Nursing: The Nurse Executives' Handbook: leading the business of caring from ward to board.
Why are we interested in this piece of work?
As an organisation with a track record of running nurse leadership programmes, The King's Fund was commissioned by the Burdett Trust to:
- support nurse executives and their boards by giving feedback to identify good practice and to explore, facilitate and develop models for high-quality, board-level clinical engagement
- review and interpret this work for a wider audience
- disseminate learning to a wide audience and encourage others to follow best practice.