Notes to editors
- For further information, interviews or copies of the report, please contact the King's Fund media and public relations office on 020 7307 2585, 020 7307 2632 or 020 7307 2581. An ISDN line is available for interviews on 020 7637 0185. Alternatively, please contact Sally Goodenough in the Pfizer Press Office on 01737 331537 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The report, Public Views on Choices in Health and Health Care: A qualitative study, by Rebecca Rosen, Natasha Curry and Dominique Florin, is free to download from Monday, 31 October 2005. Media can obtain hard copies of the report in advance of the embargo by contacting the King's Fund media and public relations office.
- The King's Fund ran ten focus groups based on a Pfizer initiative to explore public attitudes to choice in health and health care. The groups were held during June and July 2005, with participants drawn from all age groups and recruited from urban and rural environments in England, Scotland and Wales. They explored people’s recent experiences of choice in relation to health care, how they go about making choices, and the kind of information they would like to support them. The focus groups also explored areas of choice that do not yet exist in the UK – most specifically the use of direct payments and the ability to choose to go directly to a specialist without first seeing the GP. The findings will feed into a larger quantitative survey about choice, which is being carried out in partnership by Pfizer, the King's Fund and MORI, the market research company. This will be conducted towards the end of 2005.
- The King's Fund is an independent charitable foundation working for better health, especially in London. It carries out research, policy analysis and development activities, working independently, in partnerships and through funding. The King's Fund is a major resource to people working in health, offering leadership development programmes; seminars and workshops; publications; information and library services; and conference and meeting facilities.
- Pfizer, with its UK business headquarters in Surrey and global headquarters in New York, is a research-based global pharmaceutical company. Pfizer discovers, develops, manufactures and markets leading prescription medicines for humans and animals, and many of the world's best-known consumer treatments. Every month, over two million patients in the UK are prescribed a Pfizer medicine. It is estimated that on any given day, 40 million people around the world are treated with a Pfizer medicine.
Pfizer is committed to creating healthcare partnerships to provide better health outcomes for all. Pfizer is involved in this area as it is keen to help policymakers understand what the public really wants from primary care, especially those people who have long-term conditions.