Notes to editors
1. For further information or interviews, please contact the King’s Fund media and public relations office on 020 7307 2585, 020 7307 2632 or 020 7307 2581. An ISDN line is available for interviews on 020 7637 0185.
2. The main findings from the Choice and Equity survey are:
- 67 of the 152 PCTs in England responded to the survey (44 per cent)
- 58 per cent said that they had not conducted any assessment to identify who might need support in making health care choices
- two-thirds said that they had not commissioned any new services to support choice
- two-thirds had not told patients that they might be entitled to financial help to travel to an alternative hospital
- fewer than 23 per cent of PCTs had made available information on choice to people’s homes
- 42 per cent had developed other forms of information for patients
- 55 per cent said that it was the responsibility of GPs to advise patients about choice.
3. The King’s Fund is an independent charitable foundation working for better health, especially in London. We carry out research, policy analysis and development activities, working on our own, in partnerships, and through funding. We are a major resource to people working in health and social care, offering leadership development programmes; seminars and workshops; publications; information and library services; and conference and meeting facilities.