Notes to editors
1. What is the Real Cost of More Patient Choice?, by John Appleby, Anthony Harrison and Nancy Devlin, is free to download from our publications section. Printed copies are available from King's Fund publications on 020 7307 2591, price £6.50.
2. The discussion paper is part of a series of publications from The King's Fund's Shaping the New NHS programme. Can Market Forces be Used for Good? was published on Monday May 19 2003. Further papers will be published throughout 2003 on:
- Is there a role for an 'arms-length' NHS agency?
- How will growing demands on chronic care be managed?
3. There are currently two patient choice schemes running in England. Firstly, patients waiting more than six months for heart surgery are being offered quicker treatment elsewhere in the NHS, in the private sector or even abroad. Secondly, in London, patients from selected specialities also waiting around six months have been offered a similar choice of quicker treatment. By June 2003, all patients in London waiting six months will be offered this choice. The King's Fund is one of a number of collaborators charged with evaluating the London patient choice project.
4. For a review copy of What is the Real Cost of More Patient Choice?, or for further information, please contact Daniel Reynolds in the public affairs office on 020 7307 2581 or 07831 554927, or Helen Evans on 020 7307 2632 or 07774 218439.