Notes to editors
Delivering better care at end of life; The next stepsreports the outcomes of the Sir Roger Bannister Summit held at Leeds Castle in November 2009, designed to give focus and direction to the implementation of the National End of Life Care Strategy. Attended by senior policy-makers, clinicians, academics, managers and carers, the summit considered papers by some of the attendees and provides 10 critical actions for taking the strategy forward.
The National End of Life Care Strategy is available to download from the Department of Health website.
A survey of 501 GPs was conducted by ComRes on behalf of The King’s Fund; fieldwork was conducted online between 4 and 9 December 2009. Full tables are available on the ComRes website.
For further information or interviews, please contact The King’s Fund media and public relations office on 020 7307 2585, 020 7307 2632 or 020 7307 2603. An ISDN line is available for interviews on 020 7637 0185.
The King’s Fund seeks to understand how the health system in England can be improved. Using that insight, we help to shape policy, transform services and bring about behaviour change. Our work includes research, analysis, leadership development and service improvement. We also offer a wide range of resources to help everyone working in health to share knowledge, learning and ideas.
- Attendees at the summit at Leeds Castle:
- Dr Rachael Addicott, Senior Research Fellow – The King's Fund
- Beccy Ashton, Advisor to the Chief Executive – The King's Fund
- Dr Cathy Burton, Clinical Champion – Modernisation Initiative, End of Life Programme & Macmillan GP Adviser
- Sir Cyril Chantler, Chair – The King's Fund
- Lady Chantler
- Ciarán Devane, Chief Executive – Macmillan Cancer Support
- Steve Dewar, Director of Research and Innovation – Marie Curie Cancer Care
- Niall Dickson, Chief Executive – The King's Fund
- Ian Dodge, Director of Policy Support Unit – Department of Health
- Professor John Ellershaw, Professor of Palliative Medicine – University of Liverpool and Director of the Marie Curie Palliative Institute
- Dr Rob George, Consultant in Palliative Care – Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Rebecca Gray, Director of Communication – The King’s Fund
- Claire Henry, Director – NHS End of Life Care Programme
- Professor Irene Higginson, Professor in Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation – King's College London / King's Healthcare Partners
- Tom Hughes-Hallett, Chief Executive – Marie Curie Cancer Care
- Tessa Ing, Head of End of Life Care – Department of Health
- Mark Jennings, Director of Health Care Improvement – The King's Fund
- Simon Kirk, Director of Strategy – NHS Sheffield
- Dr Kirstine Knox, Chief Executive – MND Association
- Barbara Monroe, Chief Executive – St Christopher's Hospice
- Professor Edwin Pugh, Consultant in Palliative Medicine – North Tees & Hartlepool NHS FT
- Professor Mike Richards, National Director for Cancer and EOLC – Department of Health
- Eve Richardson, Chief Executive – The National Council for Palliative Care
- Bob Ricketts, Director of System Management and New Enterprise – Department of Health