Notes to editors
1. The King's Fund is an independent charitable foundation working for better health, especially in London. It carries out research, policy analysis and development activities, working on its own, in partnerships, and through grants. They are a major resource to people working in health, offering leadership and education courses; seminars and workshops; publications; information and library services; and conference and meeting facilities.
2. The Royal College of Nursing represents nurses and nursing, promotes excellence in practice and shapes health policies. As the leading professional union for nursing, they campaign on behalf of the profession and lobby government to ensure that the views of the profession are heard when it counts.
3. The London NHS Confederation is part of the national NHS Confederation. Its main purpose is to ensure that the Mayor and GLA have a clear, independent point of contact with NHS organisations in London, and to influence policy and debate on NHS issues in the capital.
4. The elections for London Mayor and the London Assembly, which together make up the Greater London Authority (GLA) are due to take place on June 10 2004.
5. A copy of the health manifesto, which sets out the five key messages, is available on request.