Don Berwick, founder and former president of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, presents the findings from his review into patient safety. You can also watch Don's full presentation.
Don was asked by the Prime Minister to carry out the review following the publication of the Francis report into the breakdown of care at Mid Staffordshire hospitals. His recommendations for the NHS include embracing a culture of learning; placing quality at the top of priorities; making sure patients are present, powerful and involved; using quantitative targets with caution and recognising that transparency is essential.
This event was run by the Department of Health and held at The King's Fund.
More on patient safety
- Watch Don Berwick's full presentation
- Download Don Berwick's slides from the event: improving the safety of patients in England
- Read Catherine Foot's blog post: can you change culture from Whitehall?
- Watch Don Berwick talking about the clinical leadership of health care reform and the importance and challenge of clinical leadership
- Read our response to Don Berwick's report on patient safety
- See our analysis of the Francis Inquiry report