- Posted:Thursday 24 April 2014
Dominic Stenning, a member of the experts by experience group that has been working with the Commission on the Future of Health and Social Care in England, told his powerful story at the launch of the commission's interim report.
Dominic has experienced mental illness throughout his life and overcome much adversity. The loss of his father in 1998 resulted in almost a decade of drug addiction as a way of coping with his loss. In August 2007 he became drug-free and started peer mentoring with a drug abuse charity. However, due to a road traffic accident in December 2008, causing him spinal injury, Dominic ended up housebound for three years. Along with depression, he battled excessive weight gain. At 33 stone he was accepted for a full gastric bypass operation in July 2012 and lost 12 stone.
After completing a course on patient leadership he now delivers training on social media, patient experience and has a keen interest in leadership.
More on the commission
- Find out more about the Commission on the Future of Health and Social Care in England
- Read Dominic Stenning's blog
- Read the commission's interim report
- Catch up with the highlights from the interim report launch