The King's Fund is incorporated by a Royal Charter that was granted by Her Majesty the Queen in 2008 and which came into effect on 1 January 2009.
The King's Fund (previously officially known as the King Edward's Hospital Fund for London) was governed under a 1907 Act of Parliament until 2009. While the Act served us well for 100 years, it unsurprisingly became increasingly difficult to square its provisions and governance arrangements with a modern health system and today's more rigorous demands for good practice in charitable governance. Charities today have a higher level of accountability than ever before, making it important that our trustees can demonstrate that their actions fall squarely within the parameters of our constitution.
Following discussions with the Charity Commission and the Fund's legal advisers, it was concluded that an application for a new Royal Charter body would be the most appropriate method of revising the governance provision of The King's Fund.
In 2007 the Charity Commission agreed a re-statement of our charitable objects and the trustees petitioned the Privy Council requesting that it establish a new Royal Charter body called The King's Fund.
The Royal Charter was granted on 4 November 2008, and the previous organisation was transferred as a whole to the new Royal Charter body on 1 January 2009.