2014 GSK IMPACT Awards winners
Our congratulations go to the 10 charities who have won 2014 GSK IMPACT Awards for their outstanding contributions to improving the UK’s health and wellbeing.
The following organisations will receive a £30,000 donation, plus two places on a unique training and development programme and an invitation to join the GSK IMPACT Awards Development Network with its programme of free meetings and events. The overall winner will be announced at the GSK IMPACT Awards Ceremony on 15 May.
- Amaze – based in Brighton, helping to improve the lives of parent carers of disabled children
- Anaphylaxis Campaign – based in Hampshire, helping to raise awareness of anaphylaxis and NHS services for allergy
- Aware Defeat Depression – based in Northern Ireland, working to help reduce the stigma surrounding depression
- Gloucestershire Young Carers – based in Gloucestershire, supporting young people who have caring responsibilities for a family member
- HENRY (Health, Exercise, Nutrition for the Really Young) – based in Oxford, helping to tackle childhood obesity
- The Lesbian and Gay Foundation – based in Manchester, working to help improve the health of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
- Mayfair Community Centre – based in Shropshire, promoting healthy living and wellbeing
- Open Secret – based in Falkirk, helping people who have suffered childhood abuse or neglect
- Rise (Refuge, Information, Support, Education) – based in West Sussex, supporting survivors of domestic abuse
- Wiltshire Centre for Independent Living – based in Wiltshire, helping disabled people to live more independent lives
The following runners up receive a £3,000 donation.
About the awards
About the awards
The GSK IMPACT Awards have been running since 1997 and are designed to recognise and reward charities that are doing excellent work to improve people’s health. They are funded by GlaxoSmithKline and managed in partnership with The King’s Fund.
The awards are open to registered charities that are at least three years old, working in a health-related field in the UK, with a total annual income between £25,000 and £2 million.
Benefits of winning a GSK IMPACT Award
- up to ten winners will receive £30,000 plus the overall winner will receive an extra £10,000
- up to ten runners-up will receive £3,000
- you do not need to present a new project, and you decide how to spend the award money.
Award winners will be offered two free places on the GSK IMPACT Awards training programme. They will then be invited to join the GSK IMPACT Awards Development Network, which connects past GSK IMPACT Award winners, both online and at meetings held across the UK, allowing them to get and give support, share best practice and continue their professional development.
'I had read that previous winners valued the training just as much as the 30k prize money and I must admit I was doubtful to say the least. But after taking part in the training I have to agree, the money is great and will be a huge benefit, but the change in our thinking and our new enthusiasm will, in the long term, have a bigger benefit.' GSK IMPACT Award winner
Publicity, films and national recognition
The awards provide organisations with an important quality mark. Winning organisations will be visited by a photographer, have a professional film made about their work and will receive support with press and publicity.
The GSK IMPACT winners will be presented with their awards at a high profile ceremony at the Science Museum in London in May 2014. With up to 400 guests in attendance, it provides an excellent opportunity to showcase work and raise profile.
Applications for 2015 GSK IMPACT Awards
The 2015 GSK IMPACT Awards will be launched in July 2014. If you would like to receive details please email email@example.com with your name and address. Thank you for your interest in the awards.
GSK IMPACT Awards Development Network
As part of their prize the ten winning charities are given the opportunity to take part in a training programme and join our network of GSK IMPACT Award winners.
The intensive three-day training programme focuses on developing leadership skills and gaining knowledge across a wide range of specialist areas. In 2013 participants worked on:
- financial management and governance
- health policy and commissioning
- using new media
- human resource management
- presentation skills
- leadership skills
Organisations are then invited to take part in the GSK IMPACT Awards Development Network. It connects past GSK IMPACT Award winners, both online and at meetings held across the UK, allowing them to get and give support, share best practice and continue their professional development.
The training and Development Network, valued at £4,000 for each organisation, is funded by GSK and hosted by GSK IMPACT Awards partner, The King’s Fund.
Feedback on the 2013 Network
Previous participants commented on the high quality of the training, its relevance to their work, how it motivated them and the value of working with other organisations facing similar challenges.
These are some of the comments from our 2013 programme:
‘Winning the IMPACT award, for a charity our size, and with the small number of staff we have, is a huge achievement for us, and, of course the money will come in very handy. However, I think the training we received will have a far bigger impact and enable us to move forward in a very focused way.’
‘For us the GSK IMPACT Awards have been a really useful organisational development process; from answering the application questions, the deep dive interview with the IMPACT assessors, the leadership training and the awards evening itself. Perhaps more importantly we are now in a network of award winners supporting each other locally, nationally and across interest areas.’
‘I have to say one of the best, rich experiences in my career in relation to leadership...and this is only the start of this journey...’
‘It has been a really thought provoking, challenging and thoroughly enjoyable experience and all the training has given me real, practical resources to take back to my organisation.’
Previous winners of the GSK IMPACT Awards can be accessed below.
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2013 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2012 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2011 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2010 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2009 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2008 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2007 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2006 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2005 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2004 winners
- GSK IMPACT Awards: 2003 winners