Support to health care services in London is given a boost today, as The King's Fund announces awards given to new partners in its funding programme.
Four organisations from across London providing mental health, sexual health, carer support and end-of-life care services have been chosen to receive awards of £540,000 over two to three years.
The King's Fund is offering support to projects run by the following organisations:
- The Chinese National Healthy Living Centre, based in Soho, will develop an advocacy service to support the Chinese community in London by helping those with mental health problems to access services.
- Newham University Hospital NHS Trust will provide opportunities for African men to have an HIV test when they attend antenatal clinics with their partners as part of the Testing of Partners in Newham (TOPAN) scheme.
- The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in Tower Hamlets will provide a support package for carers looking after patients with end stage heart failure with the aim of helping patients to be able to die where they choose.
- Trinity Hospice, based in Lambeth, aims to improve support for people with learning disabilities with life threatening illnesses by training care staff and other professionals in end of life care.
The King's Fund chief executive Niall Dickson said:
'These are exciting projects which we hope to learn from and then spread that learning to other services across the country. The patients affected are those the system too often neglects and working with our partner organisations we hope to make a real difference to the quality of their lives.'
The awards are funded as part of a wider three-year, £3 million funding and development programme, Partners for Health in London.
Notes to editors:
- For further information or interviews, please contact the King’s Fund media and public relations office on 020 7307 2581 or 020 7307 2632. An ISDN line is available for interviews on 020 7637 0185. For further information or interviews from the funding partners contact:
- Chinese National Healthy Living Centre: Mr Eddie Chan - 020 7534 6546
- Newham University Hospital NHS Trust: Kate Shurety, Head of Communications, on 020 7363 8963 or Kesti Gossling, Communications Officer, on 020 7363 9319
- Princess Royal Trust for Carers: Ms Lyn Middleton - 020 7790 1765
- Trinity Hospice: Mrs Jane Welsman - 020 7787 1000
- For more information about Partners for Health in London, including the process of making an application, please visit our Partners for Health in London page.
- The King’s Fund is an independent charitable foundation working for better health, especially in London. We carry out research, policy analysis and development activities, working on our own, in partnerships, and through funding. We are a major resource to people working in health and social care, offering leadership development programmes; seminars and workshops; publications; information and library services; and conference and meeting facilities.